Sunday, November 20, 2011

Robots in Drag (when choices are limited, customize!)

As a mother to two little girls, who I generally really enjoy dressing,  I have also come to despise certain color combinations and motifs found all to commonly in girl's apparel.  I can't stand "bubble gum" pink.  Put pink together with white and purple?  UGH.  Add some lace and flowers and I just want to barf.....and to make it worse, the barf will show up as these colors are notorious for showing every single speck of kid gunk.
My latest trip to Target to find some shirts for Bea was pretty underwhelming.  As a former apparel graphic designer, I totally get why the market trends towards the "safe", and predictable when the economy is in the shitter.  But, that doesn't mean I'm going to go along with it.  Conversely, I don't believe in shelling out more than $30-$40 for a single item of "boutique" kids clothing.  So, I thrift.  I sew.  And as of lately, I customize.




The above shirt I found in the Target little boy's department.  I thought the colors were great for Bea.  The robots are cute (she likes robots).  But, I also thought that I could "girl it up" just a bit and add some personality.  After a little ribbon, a few rhinestones, a crocheted flower and some purple tulle, it became this......

All "girled up".  Without the usual stuff.....



I like how these two seem to be having a conversation.

A robot in a fuzzy blue boa and rhinestone earrings?  Why not?  My favorite though is the purple tutu.  It's like he's saying,  "hey, check out my tutu.  Isn't it cool?

This was a fun one.

1 comment: