For the new sweater I selected a pretty pale aqua sweater--the arms already harvested and made into the leg warmers that Lola is wearing in the photo above. I then cut out the pieces based on the pink sweater, but the next size up. Ribbing which will go on the collar of the new sweater was taken from the bottom of the old.
Next, the hardest part, is trying to decide what kind of applique to put on the sweater. I'm pretty burnt out on the usual baby girl stuff---flowers, hearts, butterflies, etc. I love owls but they've just recently been overdone and soon mushrooms will be as well.
After going though several button options for the eyes, I settled on some cloth covered, mottled blue ones for big bunny and tiny pink plastic buttons for little bunny. A little crocheted flower that I have at hand from a previous project will go in the hand of one of the bunnies....maybe both should have flowers. I haven't decided yet.
At this date (2/26) the sweater is now assembled and I'm ready to start the applique of the bunnies, which will be sewn on using near-matching embroidery floss with a blanket stitch. Hopefully I will finish by Easter.