Sunday, February 13, 2011

We Got Sprout!

drum roll........and the winner is, "Apollo Broccoli".

Within 34 hours, (a record I think) the brassica seeds started sprouting.  Apollo broccoli was the first one, followed by all the rest save for the Tyfon, which I think the seed may be too old.
Today, after visiting "Roots Garden Supply" on N. Interstate, to pick up some new coco grow pellets, I started several more seeds.  You may note the soil temperature thermometer in the pic.  I think that things sprouted quickly this year because I was able to hold them between 65-80 degrees.  

In other news, things are awakening around the garden.  First with the violets, which are actually very few in my yard but there is a whole drift of them in the backyard of the hipster flop house next door.  Why, you may wonder, would sweet little flowers do so well when no one does anything but occasionally trounce on them while going out to smoke and drink their PBR?  Well, the funny thing is that violets LOVE neglect and dislike being fussed with by having weeds pulled around them or their soil otherwise disturbed.  Therefore, they do not do well in my yard....
How I love them though.....


What I do have, that would not do well without my care are crocus and my very early blooming pink rhododendron, whose name I've forgotten.  It starts blooming in late december.


No comments:

Post a Comment