Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Morels of the Story


"Hello my little friend..."

A late afternoon break in the rain and a trip to...... um, where I like to go looking for Spring morel mushrooms, yielded just two of the little critters.  It's early.  I guess.  I'm still relatively new to morel hunting and am still trying to pinpoint the actual season, which I'm finding must be late March into mid-April.  With this year's (and last year's as well) unseasonably cool weather, it seems that the season may be on the late side.


Spotting these little brainy looking fungi is tough on the eyes.  Unlike bright golden Chanterelles growing in dark forest duff, morels bear almost the same color as the grey-brown cottonwood leaves that they emerge from.  Making things even more sporting, they also like to take cover amongst blackberry thickets.  I rarely return from morel hunting without at least one scratch somewhere.  


  I hauled home "the bounty" of two.  Sauteed in butter with garlic, they where tasty with the braised pork we had for dinner.  I just hope I can get more.  Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment