Thursday, March 24, 2011

Kale Shoots....it's not over when it starts to bolt



Gardening can sometimes be a sadistic hobby.  The rewards are there, oh yes, but reaping them often involves a merciless and random gauntlet of abuse delivered by mother nature:  A brutally cold winter followed by an unseasonably cold and WET Spring.  A plague of SLUGS that gleefully eat the tops off sprouting peas.  Unknown forces that make cabbage starts lose the will to live. .....I could go on.

I went out to the Sauvies garden plot today.  In 43 degrees and pouring rain I planted leek starts and radish seeds.  I replanted peas (1/3rd of which had rotted since early march) and put out slug bait, cursing all the while.

The brassica starts that were planted late last summer (those that survived) have had enough.  Instead of providing lush Spring growth, they are putting their last bit of energy into bolting-- the plant way of saying, "I'm tired and I'm done with this life.  Here's some seed.  Good luck to the next generation."

I discovered last year that these sprouts from bolting kale are good to eat.  Like tiny heads of broccoli, just as tender but with stronger flavor, they are nutritious and thrifty way of getting at least something out of kale that would otherwise be pulled and tossed in the compost.


Sauteed in a little grape seed oil with garlic, kale shoots are quite tasty.
The saving grace of my gardening endeavour today.

Here's to warmer weather.

PLEASE.

No comments:

Post a Comment